Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Crocodile



I have a pet name for you: Crocodile

Since I remember your sharp eyes just above the water
The rest of you submerged in the murky memory
The room dissolved like floating sticks and algae
Not a ripple on the surface gave you away.

As you were dragging me through the mud my legs felt heavy.
If my throat wasn't frozen I would've told you who I was
Once, a scrappy little girl with matted hair
scrambling around on mossy rocks
Searching for salamanders
Now, a lady by the lake,
Singing and strumming her lute
Striving to seduce a piece of the universe
Pleading with the cool stars to cease their indifference.
Looking in the wrong direction when you decided to strike

While you forced me to the ground I wanted to hold you.
I wanted to tell you that I understand the stars' caprice
And what the dark bottom brings.
That there is only rock beneath your belly,
Not some fabled fire.
And that we were both naked when we entered the world
Exploring the same shapes and shadows

But let's cut the crap, now, Crococile
I have one small picture of you and
A little information
they say you "cried like a baby" in the interrogation
They say "not even your mother" cares about you.

You slipped off and left a mess back there, Crocodile
Riding home on an empty train with a can of malt liquor and a warm silver gun.
Your trembling prey stunned as they witnessed
The man that you murdered stumbling out into the open,
Bleeding from his back.

Now, the lady by the lake,
Has abandoned her lute.
And no longer bothers to beg the stars
She is too busy watching the water,
Crocodile.

No comments:

Post a Comment